Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

cat lovers
sharonary
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:09:50 PM(UTC)
sharonary

I notice that many of Mr. Sweepy members have cats as their avatar.  How many cats do you own?  My daughter talked us into a kitten, so that makes 5.  I feel sorry for the sister kitten left behind, so we are picking her up tomorrow and will have 6.  Am I turning into a cat hoarder?

muchcat1
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:39:01 PM(UTC)
muchcat1

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)

I don't know if you're turning into a cat hoarder - we have four.  We did have six, but two passed away....I'm always tempted by kittens and "homeless cats" myself, but I've accepted that there's 'no such thing as a free kitten' (spaying, shots, etc.) and we just can't afford any more right now.  I LOVE CATS and my 4 girls are precious to me.

muchcat1
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:09:13 PM(UTC)
muchcat1

[quote user="beaumont1"] I never leave the house without a cat hair or two[/quote] 

A cat-lover friend of mine used to say she came from a home where cat-hair is a condiment.

krngoldenk2000
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:17:14 PM(UTC)
krngoldenk2000

sharonary, presently we have 6 indoor cats, 2 which go in and out. We moved into our house (dw trailer) in Nov of '04. We brought 6 kittens and one big cat with us which we had rescued. After moving here, the area was overrun with feral cats. One neighbor across the way had many cats, tho we didn't know how many until they moved out and left them all. My husband started going over there and feeding them each morning. Then, someone came and tore down the trailer, fence, etc and at one point, hubby counted 46......Also, we had 'inherited' our own small colony on our side of the street. And so, we also gained about 15 more when they came and cleaned up the mountain of garbage left in the yard .... SOOOO, we dug in, started cat and kitten 'rescuing' and to date we have given away at least 85 of them. Lots of work, lots of money invested.. I tried to contact animal control, they don't come out here. I contacted SPCA for our county, they were no help. I only took 4 grown cats to animal shelters, with the excepting of one mama who had deformed kittens. The past 6 yrs, we have been bringing any kittens in, USUALLY after the mama weaned them and they come out in the open. But, I have had several litters that had to be bottle fed.. At one time, we had 3 litters in different areas of the house. We have always given them away, no charge, no matter whether they had to have vet visits, medications, etc. Some we have had fixed before finding them homes. We also have lost some to coyotes, and once a bobcat came thro and stayed... couple yrs ago, at that time we had between 15 and 20 outside. Started 'missing' this one and then that one... Went down to about 7 ferals. We went out searching and found the 'big paw tracks' under a tree, looked it up on the net and sure enough... bobcat... Now we only have 4 ferals outside.. 3 males and one female. So far she has had 4 litters and pg again. I started getting 'burned out' over a yr ago, and now am trying to decide what to do with her.. THEN our kitten/cat rescue adventure will come to an end. The satisfaction of find homes for so many is overshadowed by the many we have lost, either by disease or the natural process ... called the food chain... Just recently we lost our 'Harvey'.. One that we brought with us when we moved. Yellow short haired, cranky at times, lap cat at other times. He got sick with ulcers, had 3 vet visits... but disappeared on us about a month ago. We miss him terrible. It is true that you get so 'attached' to them, and I finally decided that I just can't do it much longer because of the feeling of continous loss. They were all my 'babies'....

kapapak
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:25:35 AM(UTC)
kapapak

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 32 post(s)

One at the moment. Had to put one 17yr old to sleep about a year ago. My other is almost 18 yrs. He will not make it too much longer. He's been a good cat. After he is gone, I plan on giving up the litter box for a while. That will probably last about a month till I see a real cute kitten or a cat in need of a home. I am allergic to cats---really should try to not get anymore. See what is like to have a few less allergies after most of life having a cat or two.

chuckmahl3
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:24:02 AM(UTC)
chuckmahl3

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

I've had cats - or they've had me I guess - all my life. I won't say how long that has been, but I've been around the block a few times... The most I've been owned by at one time was three, but I've kept it down to one at a time for the past couple decades. My previous tom, Tiger, was very affectionate and intelligent; he was trainable, like a dog, too. Even though he got the best care, was neutered and never went outside, I had to put him to sleep after seventeen years when his organs began failing.

Now I share my home with Buddy, who's a little over a year old. He has a personality different from any other cat I've known, as did all my others. He has one character "defect" which I've never come across before. His favorite toy is a paper ball; but after playing with a new one for a few minutes, he takes it over to his water bowl and dunks it. Then he brings it to me and expects me to throw it some more! It's soggy and nasty, and not much good, so it ends up in the garbage. Buddy doesn't dunk any of his other toys, and although he seems to have a fascination with water he doesn't like to get wet himself.

"Buddy sez..." He's got a lot to say, and will soon be publishing his autobiography... well, he calls it an auto-cat-ography. Buddy sez, "Sees ya!"  [H]

sharonary
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:42:53 AM(UTC)
sharonary

The 2 new kittens are so cute.  I forgot what it is like to have babies in the house.  My daughter didn't get any sleep last night.  My other 4 cats look like giants compared to the 2 little ones, Wallie and Poppy.

suzag
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:30:36 AM(UTC)
suzag

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

2 indoor are more than enough cat hair and litter boxes for me to handle...LOL They are my babies though...would really like a dog but gone too long during the day to keep one cooped up inside...somehow, these cats just don't want to be leash/harness trained so that I can go walking with them! Has anybody ever used the "pet strollers"?  I'm getting old enough that people would excuse the excentric old woman walking her cats...

chuckmahl3
#5 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 7:58:23 AM(UTC)
chuckmahl3

[quote user="suzag"]somehow, these cats just don't want to be leash/harness trained[/quote]

Interesting point! I used to have a brother/sister pair that was "trained" to wear harnesses while outdoors - we lived on a busy street. They adapted just fine, and eventually they were disciplined enough (?!) to go outside without their harnesses! My wife and I would just "wrangle" them when they got too close to the street or tried to leave the yard. Cat wrangling - now there's an apparent oxymoron... but they were "wrangleable". (Did I just invent a new word? Oh, my!)

I saw a strange sight last week while I was at the beach - a cat in a harness walking in the surf! His owner said he loved being in the water. In all my years I've never met a cat that actually liked to get wet, but this one was so wet he looked like a "drowned rat" - and he liked it! Well, I guess I've seen it all now...

muchcat1
#6 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 12:39:06 PM(UTC)
muchcat1

[quote user="chuckmahl3"]a cat in a harness walking in the surf[/quote] 

Wow -hope you got a photo! 

billrentz
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:26:16 AM(UTC)
billrentz

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I love cats!   Slow rosted with a nice double baked potato and a red wine.

OK, I have to admit, I am the grudging roomate of a cat.  His name is Special Ed, or Senor Eduardo Gato Especial.  My wife picked him up from the rescue when she saw him run full speed in to a wall.  He is a great playmate (when he wants!) to our half corgie/border collie.  A lot of fun watching the dog try to herd the cat and it ending in a wrestling match.  All in good fun as long as Eddie wants it.

michaelmyers7
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:36:09 AM(UTC)
michaelmyers7

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 93 post(s)

[quote user="billrentz"]a red wine.[/quote]

Are you sure? I thought white wine was proper.

chuckmahl3
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:45:10 AM(UTC)
chuckmahl3

Buddy sez, "Whine whine whine - is dat all you humans ever do? BTW - every kitty knows white wine goes with birdies!"