Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Computer Hesitating/Hanging PLEASE HELP!!!
soccer_nut5
#1 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 3:28:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 224 post(s)

My computer is hanging/hesitating every few seconds while surfing the web or using my Windows Live Mail.  It remembers what I'm typing or asking it to do but it hangs before performing the task.  I took it to a computer repair place and they didn't have a clue (total waste of my money).  They told me to use my recovery disks and start over.  I'm a stickler for keeping things clean and fast.  I've tried Googling the problem but can't seem to find a fix.  Granted, some suggestions are over my head but you would think the computer repair place would know what to do.  I've tried all the obvious stuff like disabling non essential programs, cleaning/resetting Google Chrome, bypassing wired router, different power supply, different mouse, etc.  I have paid AVG, Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care (which I tried disabling but it didn't help) installed.  I run a two year old Dell XPS 8100 desktop i7 with Win7 Premium 64bit with a cable modem.  On a good day, I enter probably 300 sweeps.  Interestingly, my last computer ended up with the same problem but it was 9 years old so I chucked it and bought this one specifically for entering sweepstakes fast.  Any help would be appreciated.  I don't have a lot of money to throw at this problem.  

walton39
#2 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 4:09:59 PM(UTC)
walton39

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 180 post(s)

Hello Soccernut:

Have you tried a FULL SCAN using Advanced System Care and Malwarebytes ? (One at a time, please)Also, have you DEFRAGGED your computer

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

soccer_nut5
#3 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 6:13:42 PM(UTC)

Yep.  I've only used the ASC built in defrag.  I will try going through system tools.  I do not use the paid version of ASC.  I'm not comfortable with deep registry cleanings and other changes when I can't understand exactly what some program is doing to my computer.  I'm not advanced enough to interpret things like the event viewer which may be logging these hesitations.  I keep hoping it's just some easy fix I'm missing!  I will take any more suggestions you have!

walton39
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:09:17 AM(UTC)
walton39

I've found that Super Anti Virus free edition has found some adware cookies and tracking cookies that possibly could be causing some of your trouble. Also, pull up your task manager (control,shift,escape) and monitor your computers processes,servuces and performance and see if anything  using up all your CPU and memory.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

soccer_nut5
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:05:40 AM(UTC)

Thank you.  I've checked all the processes in task manager and nothing unusual is going on.  The computer place thought it my be a bug in my registry.  I guess I keep hoping for that easy fix.

walton39
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:08:10 AM(UTC)
walton39

ASC has a registry cleaner that I've used several times without any adverse results

(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

soccer_nut5
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:20:31 AM(UTC)

I just use the free version of ASC which is more of a topical registry cleaning.  I'm afraid to use the paid version because you get a deep registry cleaning and I've heard that's not always a good thing.  Which version do you use?

walton39
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:32:59 AM(UTC)
walton39

I use the free version of ASC also.  Well, that leaves us with Super Antivirus which I memtioned earlier. How much of your hard drive is actually occupied ?  If it's  like 80 % full then that could slow things down. It's worth a quick check it out . Other than these things, I've about reached my technology limit. Wish you well

Walt

(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

soccer_nut5
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:56:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks for all your help.  I have tons of free space on my hard drive.  I try not to overload my computer with lots of extra programs.  Might have to give Super Antivirus a try. Can't believe paid AVG wouldn't be catching things but that's the way it is sometimes!

walton39
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:36:51 PM(UTC)
walton39

I'm sure you've aready cleared your cache, cookies, and browsing history, haven't you?

(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

soccer_nut5
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 6:01:50 PM(UTC)

Yes.  It's funny.  I was so proud of myself recently when my computer quit going to sleep.  I invested a lot of time googling the issue and found the very simple answer buried in one sentence amongst hours of webpages I read.  All I had to do was disable an Apple application (that I don't even use) and voila! it slept like a baby.  I keep googling this new problem and trying to figuring it out in hopes that it might be that easy.  Maybe there is just some service running on my computer that needs to be disabled.  I'm not comfortable doing a clean boot but I should probably learn how because that might tell me that it is in fact a service or not.  I did find an interesting fix that helped the speed a little.  Go into IE (even if you use a different browser), tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings and uncheck the automatically detect settings.  Weird.

duanedoug1
#12 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:32:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 74 post(s)

I had a similar problem with my old Dell laptop a couple of years ago, It was caused by dust in the vent areas. Opened it up and cleaned the dust out and it lasted another 2 years befor the video failed (it was old).

It is important to keep all your application software up to date. For this I use Patch My PC, you can download here. http://patchmypc.net/

If PacthMyPC has trouble updating a program you can use add/remove programs to remove it and reload a clean version here http://ninite.com/

You might also try using Microsofts own Safty scanner here http://www.microsoft.com...anner/en-us/default.aspx

Or the Microsoft FixIt center here http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain.

1 user thanked duanedoug1 for this useful post.
sburrill on 4/1/2014(UTC)
soccer_nut5
#13 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:39:43 PM(UTC)

I opened my tower and cleaned it all out a bit ago.  It actually wasn't that dusty.  I will try your other suggestions.  Thank you so much!

hotpurple5
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:01:39 PM(UTC)
hotpurple5

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 50 post(s)

I have advocated on ST several times for SuperAntiSpyware. Uninstall malwarebytes-it missed a trojan that SuperAntiSpyware found the 1st time I ran it. Install the free version of SuperAntiSpyware. Once installed, click "updates" even tho u just installed it. That takes less than a minute. Close and then click to scan full scan. Please note: this is Not running live/actively 24/7; u have to do every scan manually. I scan mine nearly every day and there are never, and I mean never, any less than 38 adware cookies and that's the lowest that ever showed up-usually it's in the 50s or higher. That is even tho' I clear cookies, click on disc cleanup, etc. It found another trojan a month or 2 ago that I didn't even know I had because my computer had not started showing any signs of problems yet! Ok, so the scan is complete. It will show a pop-up that tells u scan is complete and I think it says "continue." It will tell u how many hidden cookies were found. Click to delete all-the 1st time u will probably be amazed, if not shocked, how many are found and if any trojans, etc. I remember 1 sweeper found over 500 the 1st time he scanned using SuperAntiSpyware! You are not finished yet. After u delete all, u are back at the start screen. Click "system tools."  Then click quarantine. It will show u all the same crap it just deleted. Click to delete all again and close out. I also use the free version of Avast, which I have said before found a trojan that the stuff I was paying for every month told me I didn't have when I was having multiple issues!Hope everything gets back to normal 4 U.

soccer_nut5
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:15:49 PM(UTC)

Walt suggested Super Antivirus.  Are they from the same company?  Do I need to disable my AVG or other malware programs before running the "Super" ones?  I will definitely give everything a try.  I am desperate.  You all have been so helpful.  Not sure when I will be able to tackle it all.  This week is a bit crazy.  

hotpurple5
#16 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2014 10:46:56 PM(UTC)
hotpurple5

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 50 post(s)

Never heard of Super Anti Virus-I only know about SUPERAntiSpyware. You will have to uninstall Malwarebytes, but do Not uninstall your AVG (unless you wanted to try the free version of Avast-then you have to uninstall AVG first) and don't uninstall Windows Defender if you have that. I am running a SUPERAntiSpyware scan now while typing this. Just make sure you remember it is manual, not automatic, so you have to click on the desktop icon to run the scans whenever you want to. Always click to update first, before you click to scan. Don't install a bunch of different stuff because you will end up with them clashing against each other and a mess trying to figure it out. But with the SUPERAntiSpyware, I have no problems at all with still having my Avast and Defender simultaneously. Good luck-hope you find the problem!

1 user thanked hotpurple5 for this useful post.
soccer_nut5 on 4/5/2014(UTC)
walton39
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 6:30:21 AM(UTC)
walton39

Sorry guys. I misspoke. It IS Super Anti Spyware, not Super Anti Virus

hotpurple5;175438 wrote:

Never heard of Super Anti Virus-I only know about SUPERAntiSpyware. You will have to uninstall Malwarebytes, but do Not uninstall your AVG (unless you wanted to try the free version of Avast-then you have to uninstall AVG first) and don't uninstall Windows Defender if you have that. I am running a SUPERAntiSpyware scan now while typing this. Just make sure you remember it is manual, not automatic, so you have to click on the desktop icon to run the scans whenever you want to. Always click to update first, before you click to scan. Don't install a bunch of different stuff because you will end up with them clashing against each other and a mess trying to figure it out. But with the SUPERAntiSpyware, I have no problems at all with still having my Avast and Defender simultaneously. Good luck-hope you find the problem!

(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

2 users thanked walton39 for this useful post.
soccer_nut5 on 4/5/2014(UTC), hotpurple5 on 4/12/2014(UTC)
spica4038
#18 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 9:38:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)

I have been using the paid version of ASC Pro for many years. Never had a problem with it. I run all ASC scans and defrags at least once a week. Once a week I also perform a quick scan with Malwarebytes and a full scan once a month. Also run a quick scan with McAfee each week and a full scan every month.