Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

best free anit-virus program to use
gizkok6
#1 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 4:05:36 AM(UTC)
gizkok6

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 95 post(s)

I am currently using AVG and AdAware.  One of them said it was okay to have both as long as one was run manually, not on all the time.  What do you folks think is best?

Thanks

raidermom30
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 8:15:54 AM(UTC)
raidermom30

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)

What you're doing is fine.

I use AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot and Malwarebytes. AVG and ZoneAlarm run full time in the background. I run Spybot and Malwarebytes weekly as part of my regular computer maintenance. I can't remember the last time I got any sort of virus--at least a decade.

You can run one antivirus and one firewall full time. The other scanners can be run as needed. If you try to run more than one AV or Firewall at once, they will conflict with each other and may actually leave you unprotected. 

Also, unless something has changed, windows firewall is garbage. It's only a one way firewall. A two way firewall will keep you fully protected--nothing can transmit in or out, while in a one way firewall, things that get in can still transmit out.

curmudgeon2
#3 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 11:07:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 68 post(s)

Raidermom30 is correct, Windows firewall is not what you should use.

The free AVG program doesn't have a firewall. Zonealarm Firewall (free) in combination with AVG (free) was recommended in a recent issue of Consumer Reports.  The two in combination offer protection that's on a par with the "pay" suites from many companies.

Download Zonealarm and then turn off The Windows firewall.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

T. S. Eliot
gizkok6
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:36:26 AM(UTC)
gizkok6

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 95 post(s)

Thank you so much.  I am installing Zone Alarm now.  I also run malwarebytes when the spirit moves me.