Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Roboform = Google Autofill?
love0523
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:27:27 PM(UTC)

Hey Fellow Sweepers, 

I've been sweeping for some time on this site and am just now discovering this forum for some reason. lol I guess I've been that intent on winning. I keep hearing about Roboform, but I don't quite understand what it is. Is it the same as Google's autofill program? Does using the autofill disqualify one from sweeps? I also noticed that when I use the autofill program, the background of the text box changes color and I wonder if that's a way to notify the sponsors of how one filled out the form?

soccer_nut5
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:24:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 224 post(s)

In Google autofill, spaces it automatically fills in for you will turn yellow.  If it doesn't fill a space for you it will remain white so as to alert you that it remained empty.  It has nothing to do with the sweepstakes itself.  It's only for you to see on your computer.

I've never used Roboform but many people use it and will probably post some great tips on how to use it.

curmudgeon2
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:12:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 68 post(s)

love0523;203679 wrote:

Hey Fellow Sweepers, 

I've been sweeping for some time on this site and am just now discovering this forum for some reason. lol I guess I've been that intent on winning. I keep hearing about Roboform, but I don't quite understand what it is. Is it the same as Google's autofill program? Does using the autofill disqualify one from sweeps? I also noticed that when I use the autofill program, the background of the text box changes color and I wonder if that's a way to notify the sponsors of how one filled out the form?

Google Autofill and Roboform are both form fillers.  They serve the same function.  They are produced by different companies, so the format is different, but the end result is the same.  Neither one will disqualify you from most sweeps.  You'll find an occasional sweep where the rules require that the entry form be hand typed, in which case both programs will disqualify you. There is a difference between a form filler and and entry service.  The form filler doesn't  enter the sweep for you.  You must personally visit the Sponsors sweep website and enter the sweep.

There are companies that for a monthly fee, typically $30,  claim they will enter you in hundreds of swepstakes.  This is contrary to the intent of the Sponsors, who want you to visit their websites and become familiar with their products and/or services.  The prizes they give away and the fees they pay to a Promotion Company to produce, manage and promote the sweeepstakes is an advertising expense.  If a third party enters the sweep for you, then you never personally visit the Sponsors website, and aren't exposed to any advertising or promotional material.  Needless to say, this upsets the Sponsors as you're bypassing the message(s) they're trying to send.

To counter these  companies, most sweepstakes now contain prohibitions in the rules against the use of automated entry services.  They also use Captchas, which the computer of the entry service company can't read, so it can't enter you in the sweepstakes.

It's been more than 10 years since I used Google Autofill.  I switched to Roboform as it was a better product, that filled out more fields than Google. 

PS:  When I used Google, it didn't have any color change in the fields, so its obviously changed and gotten better over the years.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

T. S. Eliot
love0523
#4 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 1:38:37 PM(UTC)

Thanks for all the info. It's funny that my profile says I'm a newbie even though I've been a member since 2011. How does one become an advanced user?

chudder4444
#5 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 3:22:33 PM(UTC)
chudder4444

Was thanked: 1067 time(s) in 895 post(s)

Newbie is a ranking for number of posts. The higher the number of posts you make in the forums gives you different titles.

$10,000 Club member since November 2008!
flytrap
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2016 4:32:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I use LastPass ( free version) , it works well

Kendassa00
#7 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 12:44:38 AM(UTC)
Kendassa00

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)

I also use Last Pass it was easier than Roboform to understand for me. I have one for each email and store all my passwords for every site I got to in each browser I use.. Is great.

Form fillers and auto programs are different.. Some people go as far to pay companies to enter sweeps for them..That is auto entering... well one way. From what I have researched.. I spend alot of time reading.

1MMof7
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:50:41 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the great information. I've wondered for quite some time, and have found different responses regarding using Roboform/Google auto-fill. Your response was simple, to the point and complete. Thanks again for that!

CRamlow1
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:43:07 AM(UTC)
CRamlow1

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 192 post(s)

I use Robofrom and name my logins for sweeps prefixed with an 'S-' , i.e., S-Facebook-sweepname' and store them for easy retrieval.  I also use google autofil, sometimes one works better than the other.  But overall Roboform is worth the cost as it keeps track of hundreds of logins and poaswords for me.  I use the Roboform To Go version which stores my passcodes and data on a removable drive that I take with me whereever I go.