Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Computer slowing down?
hostaaddict
#1 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 4:29:46 AM(UTC)
hostaaddict

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 99 post(s)

I find that later in the day my computer slows way down and browser (Firefox) also sluggish.  I guess I need a new computer with more ram, as mine must be almost 8 yrs old now.  I know I can add extra ram but my son can build me a new computer for not too much more.  Until I update, this has helped last couple nights.  It seems the flash, etc entries take up so much ram that it causes things to almost stop. I notice this the later in the evening when doing the IWs, and after entering so many others previously.  Things were getting really sluggish and I was then  trying switch over and  use IE,  but I like Firefox so much better.  I have found that just shutting down my browser for minute or so saves shutting down whole system.  It then is back to normal and raring to go again. Only had to do it once per day. Anyone else struggling with  this?  Hoping to upgrade soon.  These sweeps have gotten so much more sophisticated and use so much more to run than they used do when I first started entering.

walton39
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 5:09:25 AM(UTC)
walton39

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 180 post(s)
Wheeew ! Am I relieved ! And all this time I thought it was ME slowing down . The later I sweeped the slower I went. Now, I can blame it on my computer instead of old age. But I still can't figure out that bruise on my forehead that strongly resembles the edge of my computer desk.
You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

cmalchiodi1
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 7:03:32 AM(UTC)
cmalchiodi1

YES!! Me too. Mine was bogging down everyday after getting about halfway through my Lucky List.   I finally figured out that it was the Sunny D one that was messing my computer up so I just started doing that one "by itself" instead of opening it up in tabs with all the rest of them.  That seems to work.  Thanks for the tip about shutting down just the browser instead of a re-start.

hostaaddict
#3 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 7:19:44 AM(UTC)
hostaaddict

Walt, it couldn't be caused by that brown bottle sitting next to your 'puter?? LOL!

mrsweepy
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 2:23:00 PM(UTC)
mrsweepy

Was thanked: 798 time(s) in 464 post(s)

Greetings,  We have upgraded our severs several times. We also added more memory in both the SQL server box and our web server box.  We also have a very nice pipeline going from our servers to the WWW. From what I see, we are running pretty fast but we can improve it still.

On my 3 personal computers, I run my internet through Cox at their fastest cable speed, 20megs. I am also running Microsoft Explorer 7.0 and 8.0. Again, I have not seen any slow down.

I will say that Mr. Softy and the team are working on upgrading the whole site in MS Silverlight 3.0.  This will make the site run even faster and we will be able to add more features.  This includes a really cool new version of MLL. Look for more surprises soon.

Mr. Sweepy

mrsweepy
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 3:01:11 PM(UTC)
mrsweepy

Greetings, Part II,

The biggest reason behind the slow down on the sweeps is the sponsors and or administrators. First they are using more and more Java, flash and high graphic images. Then there are the use of videos which are always slower.

Some sweeps offered through ePrize are using multiple severs in their sweep. They will have a connection between their servers, the sponsors, and sometimes a ad agency.

For many of you, not knowing all of the details, most of what I read, the problems sound like is either on your computer, your internet connect or download speed or all of that I mentioned.  My oldest computer which a Pentium 3 runs fast because I have high speed cable.  My bland new HP Visa Premium Intel I7 with 12 gigs is faster but not a great deal while on the net. The reason why it is not faster is because when you run high speed cable internet, there is not a big difference in process basic web pages. 

The big reason why I purchased the HP I7 is it will run my backend database programs, MS Office and other programs more effectively.  I also purchased the 64 bit system instead of 32 bit. In the next couple of years, you will see all new software in 64 bit which does run faster. When Windows 7.0 OS come out, I will upgrade to this.

So here is my conclusion...  If you are avid sweeper, going to high speed internet is a good investment. Going to a newer computer does help. However I would wait until Windows 7.0 comes out soon. Also get the 64 bit version.

Mr. Sweepy

mrsweepy
#3 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 3:14:02 PM(UTC)
mrsweepy

[quote user="cmalchiodi1"]

YES!! Me too. Mine was bogging down everyday after getting about halfway through my Lucky List.   I finally figured out that it was the Sunny D one that was messing my computer up so I just started doing that one "by itself" instead of opening it up in tabs with all the rest of them.  That seems to work.  Thanks for the tip about shutting down just the browser instead of a re-start.

[/quote] 

Cmalchiodi, From what I can see, it looks like the Sunny D sweep problems is the problem of the sponsor and administrator.  I don't know all of the details of your computer and internet hosting but this problem is with Sunny D.

I will say that if you clear out your temporary internet files, this might help.  I do this on all of my computers at least once every day or two at the most. In sweeping, these files can get very big, very fast. You can also defrag you computer which should help.  This should be done regardless once every 3 to 6 months depending on the size of your hard drive.

Mr. Sweepy

Mr. Sweepy

hostaaddict
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:21:12 AM(UTC)
hostaaddict

We really appreciate all you do Mr. Sweepy to keep things going so well.  In no way was I thinking it was a problem here at  S/T.   I know it is my computer.  I am waiting for some hot deals on components and then will start getting things together to build a newer, faster one.  (so much cheaper that way and can get what I want)  Thanks for all the tips.  I'm not sure I know how to accomplish them all. LOL  I do have DSL and think that is the best I can get out here in the boonies. In the  meantime I  just restart my browser once midway thru all those IW's and I do quite well.  It is easier than shutting down computer and restarting.

hostaaddict
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:22:55 AM(UTC)
hostaaddict

Meant to ask you  Mr. Sweepy.  How do I defrag my computer?  I have a feeling it is something my son has done for me now and then,  and I don't have a clue how to do it myself.

chuckmahl3
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:05:22 AM(UTC)
chuckmahl3

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

To all ST family members: I am by no means a computer guru, but perhaps sharing my setup and experiences will help some of you. First - if you are using old (3 years old or more) equipment, you would do well to buy new. You can get a decent computer and peripherals for about $500. if you shop wisely. Buy at least 2 gigs of memory, and make sure it is a 64-bit operating system. Mine is Vista Home Premium 64-bit - I'm not upgrading to anything newer at this time, and my computer is fast enough as long as I keep it "clean". Second - keep it clean! There are all sorts of free programs to clean up your hard drives and delete temporary "tracks" and advertising cookies. My favorites are the IObit twins Advanced System Care and Security 360, and old dependable CCleaner from Piriform (once known as Crap Cleaner!). Of course, every Microsoft operating system includes the function "delete browser history" under "Tools" on the toolbar - but the above-mentioned programs do a better job in my opinion. I use these programs about every 30 minutes when sweeping, and eliminate about 50MB of "sludge" from my computer each time. I find this keeps me humming along, except for those sweeps which load slowly no matter what. I don't use tabs to enter multiple sweeps at the same time like some of our more advanced members, and it probably helps to keep my computer running well. Defragging your computer is very important to keep it operating quickly as well! The ST site doesn't contribute to these kinds of problems; but I still use two defragging programs weekly since I surf the web and download other stuff which does require periodic defragmentation.

chuckmahl3
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:13:41 AM(UTC)
chuckmahl3

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Sorry - I was a little long-winded, and ran out of space! To continue - my favorite defragmentation programs are Piriform's Defraggler and IObit's Smart Defrag. I use them both; be aware that there are choices to make with the Smart Defrag program, beyond just basic defragging. With all these free programs, you should use all the extras you are comfortable using - they offer more than basic services. I stress that these are all free programs which I have used for months with no problems, and I get nothing for recommending them. I hope this helps someone out there, and GSTY! Chuck.

hostaaddict
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:46:58 AM(UTC)
hostaaddict

Yes, thanks so much for all that good info.  I use Firefox and have it set up to clean out cookies every night when shut down.  I do tab my sweeps and usually have 9 at a time in tabs and go back and forth and that speeds things up alot.  I tried this with IE and it just didn't work as quickly and for some reason getting the sweeps to tab was hard as it kept skipping over them and not downloading.  When I got Firefox all working with Robo again, tabbing is a breeze.  I will check and see if I need one of those defrag programs.  Probably do and I see there is one Power Defragmentor GUI that shows up when I click on "start" in bottom corner.  Will check and see if maybe that is automatically doing this for me??   I am pretty much computer illiterate since never had one till later years.  Thanks again!