Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Like the rest of me, my browser is outdated.
muchcat1
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:29:53 AM(UTC)
muchcat1

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)

I'm the last person to do everything, and I guess it's time for me to be the last person to upgrade my browser from IE 6, as I'm getting more and more "suggestions" and "reminders" about my "outdated browser".  I'm hopelessly non-geek and I hate to start something like this and find out I'm stuck in between the old and the new.

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional on a Gateway that's about 6 years old.  I'm not in a position to buy a Windows upgrade right now.  I've used Firefox at my brother's house and I don't particularly care for it, but maybe I just don't know how to use it...I don't like having all my windows tabbed on the same screen - I want separate windows I can click on from the menu bar at the bottom.

What do you tech-savvy folks here suggest?  Remember, I don't speak computer [*-)]

el3btrs
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:50:25 AM(UTC)
el3btrs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 14 post(s)

In Firefox you can set up in your preference menu to open seperate pages instead of tabs but sorry, the tabs are on the top and you'll get used to it quickly enough.

kickstand1
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:19:44 PM(UTC)
kickstand1

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 341 post(s)

i am still running ie6 on some of my computers, and see no need to upgrade them.  i have ie8 on a couple and do not see that it gives me anything more than i get on ie6.  i guess it would have to be personal preference, more than a necessity.

i use firefox mostly for the sweeps, and have not had any problems...but then again, i'm used to using it.

i guess it is "day at a time" for the sweeps, anyway, since the prizes are smaller...and fewer of them.

good luck to you.

What a Great Day!

Member of $10,000 Club since October 2009
chickenman
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:05:50 PM(UTC)
chickenman

Suggest you simply upgrade to IE8 - works great and will eliminate the reminders.

After installing, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Tabs (Settings) and uncheck "Enable Tabbed Browsing" and you'll be all set.

CM [8-|] [co] [C] [C]

muchcat1
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:29:45 PM(UTC)
muchcat1

Thanks to all.  Chickenman, will the upgrade involve backing up, uninstalling, and/or reinstalling stuff like robo, favorites, etc?
chickenman
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:18:31 PM(UTC)
chickenman

[quote user="muchcat1"]Thanks to all.  Chickenman, will the upgrade involve backing up, uninstalling, and/or reinstalling stuff like robo, favorites, etc?[/quote]

No, straight upgrade from IE6 to IE8.

CM [:#] [C]

hotpurple5
#2 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 1:26:37 PM(UTC)
hotpurple5

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 50 post(s)

Hi muchcat1,

If you aren't "in a position to go out and buy a Windows upgrade..." then as others have suggested, you can just update the browser until you are in a position to get whatever newer Windows version you would like to have. Type www.microsoft.com  into your address bar. When you get to the microsoft website, click on "downloads." Then click on IE8, if that's what you want to do. You will most likely get a box that asks if you want to "run" or "save." Click "run." Then just sit back and let the computer do the work. You don't even have to "speak computer!" But as others have said, IE6 works just fine for me, too. In fact, I downloaded IE8 several weeks ago, then uninstalled it because I didn't like it as well as IE6. Also, if those boxes are popups that tell you to "upgrade your browser," etc...and tell you something like "click here to update" or something to that effect, never ever do that. Don't even click on "okay." 90% or better of the time, that is malware, trojans etc trying to get installed on your computer. So ONLY go to the microsoft website to download any updates, never from a pop-up. Good luck with it!

muchcat1
#3 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 6:54:29 PM(UTC)
muchcat1

Thanks so much, hotpurple; good advice about the popups.  I tried to install IE8 from the microsoft site; Windows 2000 isn't listed as an available operating system in the "choose your system" dropdown.  I tried to fake it by telling it I had XP, but it didn't work.  I'll just keep using IE6 until it ceases to function.  I may be getting a new-used computer in March.

XXooXX to all.

hotpurple5
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:18:46 AM(UTC)
hotpurple5

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 50 post(s)

Sorry it didn't work[:(] You know its not really the IE6, but the Windows 2000 OS. Hey, a new-used computer is just fine! Mine is an older one (not flat screen) that I got 3 yrs ago from a flea market I used to set up at. I would never buy one that I couldn't test, but this guy had his own little computer sales and repair set up inside, where you could test out all his computers.  I paid a whopping $139.99 + tax for the whole thing, including hard drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers. I only have had to have it serviced once.

muchcat1
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:34:21 AM(UTC)
muchcat1

Where I work, the computers are leased and replaced in rotation every three years.  When your computer gets replaced, you have the opportunity to buy the "outgoing" one that was on your desk, for CHEAP (I mean CHEEEEEEEEEAP)!!   They wipe it but leave the OS on it.