Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help Needed
marli23514
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:19:27 AM(UTC)
marli23514

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 913 post(s)

My daughter borrowed my laptop computer.  I had an anti-virus program on it, but unfortunately she let the coverage lapse.  [:'(]  Now, as most of you know I am not big on computer stuff but I was able to wipe out virus and set laptop back to original settings.

Now, I am having trouble getting onto the internet with the laptop.  I still have my desk model so I can enter sweeps, but would like to have the laptop back in functioning condition.

Any help would be appreciated.  Use simple words so I can follow along.  Thanks!

One other note:  I was using a router at home for laptop and at food pantry to access internet.

“You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying. To be the best you can do everyday.” ― Jason Mraz

kickstand1
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:42:42 AM(UTC)
kickstand1

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 341 post(s)

there are a lot of things that could affect your internet. 

if it is a wireless connection, left click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of your computer screen.  you should see something like "connect", or "repair".  enter in on either of these. 

you should then see either various connections available, or an icon to click for "repair". 

this is just general information,becauseit depends on your operating system.  if this doesn't help, let us know your operating system, ie; windows xp, firefox, etc.)

Good Luck!

What a Great Day!

Member of $10,000 Club since October 2009
BarbaraF3
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:58:05 AM(UTC)
BarbaraF3

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)

Marli

Hope u get it working and do put some good virus protection on it, especially if she uses fb.  I had a bunch of viruses try and get in but they were stopped from fb.  Also picked up a bad one here about a year ago and it crashed my computer.  Now. my son put every type of virus protection possible on mine.  I clean my cookies after every site too, even tho. I don't need to that often but I am on fb a lot and want to be sure.  Good Luck!

Barb

marli23514
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:37:43 AM(UTC)
marli23514

Thanks everybody.  I will give your suggestions a try tomorrow when I am fresh.   

“You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying. To be the best you can do everyday.” ― Jason Mraz

walton39
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:00:36 PM(UTC)
walton39

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 180 post(s)

Hi Marli:  Try this:  If the wireless strength bar is showing in the right hand bottom of your screen, hold your cursor over it. Does it show status is not connected or connected ? If not connected ,right clidk on it and point at  "connect to" /  Then click on "your wireless network name on the list shown in the window that pops up. This should connect your network for you. Hope it works for you.

Walt

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

marli23514
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:02:26 PM(UTC)
marli23514

Walt:  Still not working properly.  Will give it a try.  Thanks.

kickstand1
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:07:58 PM(UTC)
kickstand1

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 341 post(s)

I have had to reboot my wireless router on occasion.  You mightgive that a try.  Merely unplug your wireless router, give it a minute, then plug it back in.  Worth a shot.  Good Luck!

What a Great Day!

Member of $10,000 Club since October 2009