Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Any thing I can do to speed up internet browser?
Ashsky68
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:02:56 AM(UTC)
Ashsky68

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 184 post(s)

Hi..I enter sweeps at a nice rapid rate...until today :(  I'm not sure what happened.  I was cleaning out my inbox and unsubscribing to some of the newsletters and all of a sudden today, I get on my computer and try to enter sweeps and everything is taking FOREVER to load.  I don't have the patience to wait for some of the websites to load...what a bummer!!!  Is there anything I can do to get me back to normal speed?  I deleted my history but that didn't seem to help. 

Thanks!!

walton39
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:10:33 AM(UTC)
walton39

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 180 post(s)

There a number of things you can do that could help in this area:

If are not using Firefox , I've found it to be much faster than Explorer.

Also, there is some free software called Advanced System Care that can check out lots of stuff that might be slowing your computer.

First of all just re-boot your computer and see if that helps, if not, here goes:

Clear out your cookies and cache.

Let your virus protection program check your computer for virus and malware infestation

Do a disk cleenup

Do a disk defragmentation

Reboot your computer again.

If you need help in doing any of this just sent me a PM and I'll be glad to help all I can.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Ashsky68
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:06:53 AM(UTC)
Ashsky68

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 184 post(s)

Thanks walton39..you're a sweetheart for taking the time to help.  I noticed my emails were coming in slow and sporadic as well.  I cleared out my cookies and history and rebooted the computer, same scenario.  I had a phone call and as I was talking, I noticed clicking sounds.  We have digital cable so I called Comcast.  They detected that my modem was going out.  They are shipping me a new one.  I went to the modem and unplugged the modem and plugged it back it and wholla...internet is up to speed again and emails coming in normally.  I still feel I need to do a disk cleenup and a defrag.  I'll try to research to see how to do this.  If I run into problems...I'll send you an email.  Thanks again :)

walton39
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:16:39 AM(UTC)
walton39

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 180 post(s)

Click Start,All Programs,Accessories,System Tools, then select disk clean up and after that finishes, defrag which is listed there too.Both of these take some time to do, especially the defrag.

Good Luck, Glad you found your problem. Don't know why I didn't think of the modum going bad since the same thing happened to me a few months ago.

By the way, I just happened upon your request for help. You'll get more response to your questions if you post it in the "Question of the Month" section. Or, for your particular question,"Computer hardware software Help"

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

1 user thanked walton39 for this useful post.
Ashsky68 on 6/6/2012(UTC)
soccer_nut5
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:33:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 224 post(s)

Usually if there is an overnight change in you internet speed it has something to do with your internet provider service being down or undergoing maintenance.  They usually fix this within the day.  Or, like you discovered, your modem or router(if you have one) could be on the fritz.  A slow down over a long period of time is most likely caused by all the junk that we accumulate on our computers from all that web surfing we sweepers do!  I agree with Walt, the free version of Advanced System Care is a must if you enter sweeps regulary:  http://www.cnet.com/1770...system+care&tag=srch

1 user thanked soccer_nut5 for this useful post.
Ashsky68 on 6/6/2012(UTC)
jenald5
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:23:16 PM(UTC)

That would totally depend on what you do with your browser, actually. It might be a problem with your internet service subscription or could very well be affected by what you are doing with it.

I guess that you just have to set aside what really needs to be taken a look into just so you get to pinpoint what the specific problems are.
1CrazyCatLady
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:43:33 PM(UTC)
1CrazyCatLady

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 91 post(s)

If you were unsubscribing to a lot of e-mail, that may have put your computer at risk. I don't trust those unsubscribe links unless I know exactly where they come from.