Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

QUESTION: Changing Browsers vs Sweeps Entries
dwarstler3
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 12:42:33 AM(UTC)
dwarstler3

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)

This is for all of you wonderful, experienced techies in the group.

Normally, I use Firefox as my browser when I enter my sweeps but recently, I find it to be ever so slow!  And, while I still use it for some entries, I've started using IE for my ST entries.

My question is this:  Is using different browsers to enter sweeps on the same site an ok thing to do?  (e.g., I used Firefox to enter my ST sweeps on Monday but IE to enter those same sweeps on Tuesday.)  I guess what I'm really wondering is if doing that would disqualify my entries in any way?

Many, many thanks to all of you who are "in the know" on this subject.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, one and all!!  Diane 

kickstand1
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:29:09 AM(UTC)
kickstand1

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 341 post(s)

i'll jump in, although i will defer to the experts.

my understanding is that the key to avoiding problems is the ip address, not the browser.  the browser allows entry to the ip address.

hope someone can confirm, or give more accurate info.

What a Great Day!

Member of $10,000 Club since October 2009
curmudgeon2
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:51:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 68 post(s)

Diane,

I think kickstand1 is correct.  I'd be more concered about using a computer at work and then using one at home with a different IP address. 

I use Firefox also, and some days I just can't get it to work, so I switch and use the EDGE Browser.  On alternate days I might enter the same sweep by using 2  different Browsers.

:)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

T. S. Eliot
krush78
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:18:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

I wouldn't think that having a different IP address would make a difference either. At least it shouldn't. My internet provider doesn't use static IPs. Every time I turn my computer on it will show not just a different address, but often a completely different town, rarely is it even the town I'm actually in. My understanding is that most providers these days will use dynamic IPs.

dwarstler3
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 1:01:01 AM(UTC)
dwarstler3

I'm not sure if the "thank" button works any longer, so I'll use this post to thank all who replied to my inquiry.  I am most encouraged by all of your replies.  I want to especially thank curmudgeon2 though, for confirming the sometimes slow speed using Foxfire.  (I was afraid it was just "behaving badly" on my computer!)

You've all affirmed what I hoped to hear, so onward and upward, using the browser that's working best on any given day!

Many thanks again!  Diane

curmudgeon2
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 5:52:12 AM(UTC)

Diane,

My problems with Firefox aren't related to slow speed.  There are times when it refuses to let me log on, or won't load my lucky list.  Someone posted a similar problem & the solution is to login to the Forum first & then login to the main ST site.  Usually, but not always this works.  The logon to ST is sucessful but MY Lucky list won't load even though I close Firefox and repeat the process.  The same applies to New Sweeps.  I can't open them even though I try several times.  That's  when I switch to the Edge Browser.

I use 3 other sweep sites and ST is the only one where I have problems.  It works perfectly everywhere 'cept here.  I wonder if there might be compatibility issues between ST & Firefox.  Also, I can't log in to the Forum with the Edge Browser.  It'll allow me to login to ST, but not the Forum.  Just the opposite of my problems with Firefox - go figure that one out.

There's a new Browser (Vivaldi) which was developed by the former developers of the Opera Browser which they recently sold to the chinese.  One day when I have some free time I'm going to research it.  It's apparenty open source, just like Opera and one review site described it as a combination of Opera and Chrome.

Good luck

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

T. S. Eliot
fishrmn100
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:50:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 100 post(s)

curmudgeon2 try to follow me when I attempt to say how I get around the problem. Maybe it'll work for you. I may not make much sense, but it works for me on Firefox. I log into the forum first. Then I use the scroll wheel on the mouse to click on "My Lucky list" and open it in a new tab. When I do that, it has the same type of log-in that the forum has. That logs me into the ST main page. Then I can just click on or use the scroll wheel to enter " My Lucky List" and go there. I usually have to use the scroll wheel to to enter my sweeps there, but not always. It's just become a minor inconvenience for me now and doesn't slow me down.

dwarstler3
#8 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 1:22:19 AM(UTC)
dwarstler3

Curmudgeon2 & Fishrmn 100 -- Y'all are way too smart for this old gal!  But, I love how both of you have found ways to do "end-arounds" with these various browsers.  Interestingly, I never had a problem with Foxfire until their recent speed upgrade.  It's been a problem ever since, mostly with slow loading or not at all.  Reminds me of the good-old-days of "dial-up"!!

Many thanks to both of you for the follow-up.  For now, I'm switching between Firefox and IE.  Seems to be working well so far.  Fingers crossed!  Diane

curmudgeon2
#9 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 7:37:48 AM(UTC)

Fishrmn100, you are the person I was referring to in the 3rd sentence of my post on Sunday.  I use the instructions from one of your prior posts,  which you've reiterated  above.  I log on to the Forum 1st & then log on to the ST site.  That usually works and I can call up "My LL" and enter the sweeps using Roboform.  I've also had success with your "mouse wheel click".  Thank you for the post. 

Diane is right, the "thank" button doesn't work any longer.  I clicked it for your prior post & nothing happened.

I try your Forum log on entry method first & only go to the Edge Browser if I have to.   It's been a big help.

:)

T. S. Eliot