Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

What does a typical affidavit look like and how does one generally receive it?
EmilyBrown02
#1 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 8:26:59 AM(UTC)
EmilyBrown02

I'm rather new at this, but I've managed to build up my lucky list to over 100 sweeps per day! But, of course, the more I enter, the more junk mail I get spammed with. My question is, what does a "real" affidavit typically look like? I've came across so many e-mails that claim to be legit, telling me I've won something, and I get all excited, only to find out after visiting their links that it's just a scam or one promotional offer after another! The only thing I've won so far is a $10 gift card to Lowes, and it showed up as "fulfillment" and required that I do nothing but wait 6-8 weeks to receive my card via snail mail. Is this what a typical affy will look like, and will it generally come in the form of an e-mail, or do some send it in the mail? I'm tired of wasting my time reading all these discouraging junk letters!! Ugh ...

halogen
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 9:21:00 AM(UTC)
halogen

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It's a legal document, usually two or three pages.  It's a pre-typed form with empty spaces that you're suppose to fill in with your personal information.  Almost every time you'll have to have it notarized by a notary public.

Affidavits can arrive via e-mail attachment, or by way of a delivery service like FedEx or UPS.

Before opening any e-mail attachment, you should always research what the e-mail is telling you.  For instance, check out the complete e-mail address of the sender.  Then click REPLY (but don't click SEND), to see where a reply would be sent.   Google the name of the sweepstakes you're suppose to have won.  If necessary, telephone the sweepstakes sponsor to verify it.  Opening an attachment is risky, so make sure it's legit before doing do.

Here's a website that shows what a typical affidavit looks like.  Copy and paste the URL into a browser.

http://ww2.footlocker.co...st/fls020108a_rules.html

RIP Jupiter
EmilyBrown02
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:19:20 AM(UTC)
EmilyBrown02

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I keep getting an e-mail saying that I've one $4,000, but it doesn't address me in specific and it looks nothing like an affidavit. It doesn't even refer to the specific sweepstakes from which I would've supposedly won this money. When I visit the link, it just takes me to a lotto site and asks me to participate. It's obviously junk, but it's a little misguiding, with me being a newbie and all, when you see several e-mails with a big "Congratulations, you've won" as the title heh. So disappointing! Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what one might actually look like, so that I don't ever delete the real thing!! Thanks =)

barrco
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:36:46 AM(UTC)
barrco

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Affidavit Sample:

AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY AND RELEASE

State of                                     )
County of                         )     I, ___________________________, being duly sworn, depose and say that:
                                                     (adult print name)

In connection with my entry in the Footlocker.com February’s I Love College Hoops Sweepstakes, and to satisfy the eligibility requirements, I am a legal US resident, age 18 or older, and that neither I nor any relative of mine (mother, father, sister, brother, any child, husband, wife, and those living in their household) is employed by Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, their respective parent companies or any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising or promotion agencies, and hereby certify to the following data: 

HOME ADDRESS _____________________________________________________________________
(Please Print)           Street Address                               City                      State               Zip

DAY PHONE  (____) ____________________        EVENING PHONE (____) ____________________

AGE __________

I HEREBY AGREE:

• That Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, their parent companies and any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents may use (unless prohibited by law) my name, picture, portrait, likeness, and voice for advertising and promotional purposes without further consideration;

• that my entry may automatically be disqualified if this affidavit is not received by __________________ 2008;

• that all Federal, State and other taxes and charges on the prize I may win will be my sole responsibility, and that I will provide my Social Security number if necessary for a Form 1099;

• that I have read and agree to abide by the Official Rules of the Sweepstakes;

• to hold harmless Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, their parent companies and any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from any and all liability, claims or action of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons, including myself, and property which may be sustained, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly in connection with the receipt, acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, while preparing for, participating in and/or traveling to any prize related activity and participation in this promotion; and

• I understand that if I make any false statements herein, I will automatically be disqualified.

_________________________________                                                Sworn to and subscribed by me this
Your signature                                                                                    ______ day of ____________, 2008

____________________________
                                                                                                NOTARY PUBLIC (signature)

Please return this affidavit to:                                                            ____________________________
Footlocker.com February’s I Love College Hoops Sweepstakes            NOTARY PUBLIC (print)
c/o Footlocker.com, Inc.                                                                        (Seal)
P.O. Box 8066
111 South 1st Avenue
Wausau, WI  54402-8066

AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY AND RELEASE

State of                                     )
County of                         )     I, ___________________________, being duly sworn, depose and say that:
                                                     (adult print name)

I am the parent or legal guardian of __________________ (enter child’s name here) who is being considered as a prize winner in the Footlocker.com February’s I Love College Hoops Sweepstakes, and to satisfy the eligibility requirements, I hereby certify that my child and I are legal US residents, that the above named child is age 13 or older, and that neither I nor any relative of mine or the above named child (mother, father, sister, brother, any child, husband, wife, and those living in their household) is employed by Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, their respective parent companies or any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising or promotion agencies, and hereby certify to the following data: 

HOME ADDRESS _____________________________________________________________________
(Please Print)           Street Address                               City                      State               Zip

DAY PHONE  (____) ____________________        EVENING PHONE (____) ____________________

AGE __________

I HEREBY AGREE:

• That Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, their parent, companies and any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents may use (unless prohibited by law) my name, picture, portrait, likeness, and voice for advertising and promotional purposes without further consideration;

• that my entry may automatically be disqualified if this affidavit is not received by __________________ 2008;

• that all Federal, State and other taxes and charges on the prize I may win will be my sole responsibility, and that I will provide my Social Security number if necessary for a Form 1099;

• that I have read and agree to abide by the Official Rules of the Sweepstakes;

• to hold harmless Foot Locker Retail, Inc., The Collegiate Licensing Company, and their parent companies and any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from any and all liability, claims or action of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons, including myself, and property which may be sustained, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly in connection with the receipt, acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, while preparing for, participating in and/or traveling to any prize related activity and participation in this promotion; and

• I understand that if I make any false statements herein, I will automatically be disqualified.

_________________________________                                                Sworn to and subscribed by me this
Your signature                                                                                    ______ day of ____________, 2008

____________________________
                                                                                                NOTARY PUBLIC (signature)

Please return this affidavit to:                                                            ____________________________
Footlocker.com February’s I Love College Hoops Sweepstakes            NOTARY PUBLIC (print)           
c/o Footlocker.com, Inc.                                                                        (Seal)
P.O. Box 8066
111 South 1st Avenue
Wausau, WI  54402-8066

tmaguirre57
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:05:47 AM(UTC)
tmaguirre57

Thanks barrco!  I'm sure that helps a lot of us sweeping noobs!